I Survived!

I feel like I should be going around with that printed on a T-shirt. Or tattooed on my forehead. Ya’ll, I survived the birthday Palooza. I’d even call it a success, if it weren’t for one tiny, insignificant little detail….

I took exactly 2 pictures on the day. And they are of the cupcake birthday cake. That I bought from Safeway.

Parenting fail.

Luckily, my dad was around and took some pictures, so all is not completely lost. But still, I need to get better at that.

I actually took the entire week off before Sean’s birthday party for a couple of reasons: 1. to get the house ready and 2. to go on a mini getaway with the Hubbs.

That getaway thing? Fabulous.

The Golden Gate Bridge at sunset.

We did touristy things in the city by the Bay. We went on a sunset bay cruise, which was faboo because the water was calm and I didn’t yarf. I get seasick at the drop of a hat, so this was a pretty big deal. We found a jeweler close to my work who cleaned, polished and replated my wedding rings so they look as good as new. We had an insane dinner at One Market. And by insane, I mean insanely good and I felt full for three straight days. It was everything a getaway should be, and I’m looking forward to doing it again sometime.

And then we came home and I went from pampered vacationer to hard-core manual labor.

The hard part about Sean’s birthday is that it’s in mid-April. The weather is JUST getting nice after a long winter. So the yards look … well … pathetic. We always need to buy new plants, we need to weed, trim hedges, mow the lawn, etc. etc.

I spent two full days in the back yard, cleaning up, planting plants, laying weed barrier, redwood containers, and mulch. I started a vegetable garden — we have lettuce, cauliflower, two kinds of string beans, rainbow chard, tomatoes, and zucchini. I moved furniture, hosed off patio tables and chairs, arranged them, swept and cleaned the cement, and slipped the neighbor’s gardeners $25 to come over and mow my front and back yards. I set up two shade tents and got a minor sunburn.

My mom came up Thursday night and we spent the rest of the week inside: Decluttering, vacuuming, shampooing carpets, dusting, cleaning, mopping, and making three gigantic trays of rigatoni — one with meatballs only, one with cheese only, and one with everything.

Well, we took a break Friday morning because one of my nails got jacked up while I was cleaning and I had to go to the salon to get it fixed. (By jacked up, I mean my acrylic nail popped halfway off and tore the nail underneath off with it. Fun times! And yes, I have acrylic on top of my flimsy, easily torn, thin nails, thankyouverymuch.)

If the day of the party had been normal temperature, it would have been fabulous. But it was blazing hot. We set out small tubs of water and put diving fish in them with nets nearby. The kids played in those water tubs all afternoon.  Hubbs broke out his misters for people to cool themselves off with. We had an Easter egg hunt for the little kids. I popped the rigatoni in the oven and pulled it out an hour later to serve. We had spinach and fruit salads and bread followed by presents and cake with ice cream.

It was a great day.

After, my house seemed too quiet. Too empty. Both kids didn’t nap the day of the party and they fell into bed exhausted and slept in the next day. Sunday was a relaxed, quiet day.

So we survived. Happily, I might add.

This entry was posted in Daily.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s